DON’T WANNA READ? THEN LISTEN!:
This is the “show biz” section. It’s my belief that VO does fall under the category of “show biz.” Every piece of voice-over does require acting to a degree, and while the art of acting may be fun, the business of acting is extremely competitive, bordering on cutthroat at times. Don’t worry, though, I talk about a bit of both the fun side and the dark side…and yes, I always say “dark side” with an English accent, because otherwise it just feels like something’s missing…………oh C’MON, you know I’m right!
While I initially thought it was one of my weaker efforts, I received a lot of positive feedback about Entry #13, in which I (half)-jokingly referred to all actors as “morons” for wanting to pursue an acting career, using real-life Hollywood stories of how the business doesn’t always work out in the actor’s favor. Let’s just say that you may not know who David Prowse or Mercedes McCambridge are, but that’s kinda sad considering that everyone knows what they did.
Anyways, those kinds of entries are below, so check ’em out if you’re interested!
“SHOW BIZ” ENTRY LIST
- DAVE’S AUDIOBLOG Entry #4: Why I Pretend To Be Someone Else…no, I mean why I got into acting. What did you think I meant?
- DAVE’S AUDIOBLOG Entry #6: Why I Aim From The Hip….no, I mean why I–sometimes–have a bad habit of not marking up my copy or thinking about it before I read it. What did you think I meant?
- DAVE’S AUDIOBLOG ENTRY #9: Why I Submitted…no, I mean why I submitted to trends rather than trying to change the course of established trends. What did you think I meant?
- DAVE’S AUDIOBLOG ENTRY #10: Why I Look Down…no, I mean why I look down upon some “wrong” things that I see some people doing in show biz. What did you think I meant?
- DAVE’S AUDIOBLOG ENTRY #13: Why I’m A Moron…no, I mean why it wasn’t the smartest idea of me to pursue acting considering there are other options. What did you think I meant?
- DAVE’S AUDIOBLOG ENTRY #16: Why I Caved In…no, I mean why I caved in to the growing realization that we as talent only have so much control over our business. What did you think I meant?
- DAVE’S AUDIOBLOG ENTRY #21: Why I’m Upset…no, I mean why I’m upset that the art of dubbing isn’t as well-known as I think it should be. What did you think I meant?
- DAVE’S AUDIOBLOG ENTRY #26: Why I’m Not Adventurous…no, I mean why I stick to my specialties in VO. What did you think I meant?