DON’T WANNA READ? THEN LISTEN!:
This is the “Audio Technology” section…..WARNING, WARNING, WARNING!!! YOU ARE ENTERING THE NERD ZONE! YOU ARE ENTERING THE NERD ZONE! DANGER, WILL ROBINSON, DANGER! FAILURE TO RETREAT MAY RESULT IN YOUR EXPOSURE TO GEEKY STUFF THAT YOU DID NOT NEED TO KNOW!…Unless you’re into that stuff, of course. I found that a few years into my VO career, I really liked the more technological side of VO, and began pursuing an audio engineering career in addition to my VO career. So I’m totally sympathetic to those who want to learn more about the techie stuff!
Besides, you’d be interested what you learn, even if you’re not into techie stuff. For example, Entry #9 is about how the Sennheiser 416 shotgun mic became one of the most popular voice-over mics…not because of its sound, but because a guy named Ernie Anderson (father of “There Will Be Blood” director Paul Thomas Anderson) wanted to be comfortable, and was very vocal when he wasn’t, saying things like…
ERNIE: If I had a horse…I’d buy it oats and **** it.
(I have no earthly clue what the context of that blooper was, but the origin story of the 416, and Ernie’s hilarious ((censored)) blooper reel, are on Entry #9.)
So there’s stuff for nerds and non-nerds here. Have at it!
“AUDIO TECHNOLOGY (WARNING: NERD MATERIAL!)” ENTRY LIST
- DAVE’S AUDIOBLOG Entry #5: Why I Quit…no, I mean why I quit trying to solve this problem I was having with my recordings and enlisted the services of George Whittam. What did you think I meant?
- DAVE’S AUDIOBLOG Entry #7: Why My Honor Is Questionable…no, I mean why some people in the VO industry question integrity because of choices in audio equipment. What did you think I meant?
- DAVE’S AUDIOBLOG ENTRY #9: Why I Submitted…no, I mean why I submitted to trends rather than trying to change the course of established trends. What did you think I meant?
- DAVE’S AUDIOBLOG ENTRY #19: Why Nobody Looks At Me…no, I mean why nobody looks at the videos that I post on YouTube. What did you think I meant?
- DAVE’S AUDIOBLOG ENTRY #21: Why I’m Upset…no, I mean why I’m upset that the art of dubbing isn’t as well-known as I think it should be. What did you think I meant?
- DAVE’S AUDIOBLOG ENTRY #25: Why I’ll Look Stupid…no, I mean why I might look stupid for making a prediction about where VO is headed. What did you think I meant?